Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Relations


Relations

Relations are the core of every human today. Going back to the Stone Age era where man was an animal. His life revolved around searching for sufficient food. With the need for security, he started living in groups. These groups led to attachments and attractions, some physical and some emotional.

‘Relations’ were thus involved.

With frenzy for naming every relation, there came parents, siblings, friends, lovers, spouses, colleagues, acquaintances … everyone. Each came in with its own dynamics. And more so with their respective responsibilities. As we evolved from food hunting nomads to well settled corporate honchos, relations formed a social idea to a self imposed definitions of what we are or what we should be in our lives.

Are they good , are they bad? We can’t say! Ever imagined a world without any relations? Well, who knows, without definite relations we wouldn’t have restricted ourselves to being good, considerate and caring to certain people. Maybe we would have cared a bit more about the old granny who takes a walk on a particular road everyday. Maybe we really wouldn’t have been so selfish so as to think about My Family, My Relatives, My Cousins, My Neighbours or My Countrymen.

Maybe the care and consideration went beyond all these. That man wouldn’t commit crime to keep his kin rich & happy. Maybe it would have helped us evolve as a collective human race. That we didn’t restrict our feelings to a certain clan or country. We would all yet again be humans in the truest sense.

3 comments:

andy K said...

I liked the way you have put new perspective. Yeah I second you to the point. If we all would be humans and lived in sync. The world would have been a different place to live in.

k said...

I don't know if you have read the poem 'Vultures' by Chinua Achebe. It's one of the most realistic poems I have read.

You can find it here - http://moralredundancy.blogspot.com/2009/11/vultures-by-chinua-achebe.html

Tell me how you feel once you read that.

prachi Mujumdar said...

I should read it!